Dirty windows can make your home look less appealing. However, when your windows are clean it can have a positive effect on how your home looks. uPVC windows do not need much maintenance to keep them working and looking great. Things such as painting and weatherproofing are not required with uPVC windows. However, you still may need to give them a clean every now and again to maintain freshness.
How To Clean the Window Glass
You may find that the window glass needs cleaning more often than the uPVC window frame. This is usually the case as grim and dirt build-up quicker on the glass from rain and bad weather. Cleaning your windows up to 8 times a year will keep the glass looking pristine. When you clean your windows try to avoid doing them in direct sunlight, as this can lead to streaky marks being left on your glass. Spray your windows down with a power washer before deciding on what product to use to clean the windows. This will help to remove any stubborn dirt and grim. Use hot soapy water or a window cleaning product for the best results.
Do these following things to clean your Window Glass
- Power wash your glass windows first. Or give it a quick wipe over with fresh hot water. This will remove heavy grime and dirt.
- Take a soft microfibre cloth and using hot soapy water or a glass cleaning product. Clean and wash your glass.
- Once you have washed the glass dry with a soft cloth to a lovely shine.
How To Clean the uPVC Window Frame
Cleaning your uPVC window frame is a simple task. It’s always best to clean the frame at least twice a year. The more times you clean it the better your windows will look.
Do these following things to clean your Window Frames
- Power wash the frames using a jet wash. If you do not have a jet wash first get a bucket of hot water no soap and give the frames a quick wipe over. This will help to remove any heavy dirt and grime.
- Using a bucket of hot soapy water and a microfibre cloth wash down the window frames until all dirt and grime are removed.
- Using a clean soft cloth dry the window frames to have nice clean windows.
- Please avoid using any abrasive cleaners or abrasive cloths as this can scratch and damage the uPVC frame.
How To Maintain Window Handles and Hinges
When it comes to maintaining window handles and hinges these contain working moving parts. Using a spray oil on your uPVC window handles and hinges can help to keep them moving and prevent future problems. Try to do this at least once a year or every six months.
To Maintain your uPVC Window Handles and Hinges do the following.
- For window handles – Close you’re window slightly and spray a small amount of spray oil on the locking mechanism for the handle. This will help to keep all the parts moving.
- Locking – Open your window nice and wide, using a spray oil, spray small amounts onto the locking strip this is the metal strip that runs down the inside o the window. Try to avoid getting any on the frame or the glass. Wipe away any excess oil.
- Window hinges – Open the window once again, spray oil on the hinges of the window. This will allow your windows to open and close more smoothly.
These simply tips that we have shared with you, will help to keep your windows in tip-top condition for the next few years. If you are in need of new windows why not contact one of our home improvement advisors today on 01744 611203 for a free quotation.